covid 19 banner stripes only

    NZOIA Reponse to COVID-19 - Updated 26 May 2020 

    At the time of writing the Ministry of Health reports a total of 1,504 cases of COVID-19 in New Zealand and it is the third day in a row without new cases.

    New Zealand is currently at Alert Level 2 – Reduce (the disease is contained, but the risk of community transmission remains).

    One of the key notes for the outdoor sector is people being able to travel domestically.  The message is you can travel, but it is how you travel and what you do when you get there that matters.  From 12pm on Friday 29 May increased limits on gatherings and events will apply.  Further information on these changes will be available later this week. Alert 2 settings will be reviewed on 8 June.  On the 22 June cabinet will look at whether the country could move to Alert Level 1.  Sport NZ have the latest guidance on mass gatherings for the sport and recreation sector here.  We strongly encourage you as operators to take the time to thoroughly understand the guidelines, and then create robust and detailed plans before restarting any activity. 

    NZOIA Office Updates

    Advice for Members

    Assistance Available  


    NZOIA Office Updates

    With the exciting announcement of the inclusion of domestic travel at Alert 2, we begin the process of developing level 2 protocols and seeing if and how NZOIA courses can run under the Alert Level 2 guidelines.

    We are making a slow transition back to the office.  NZOIA has gratefully received the Government Wage Subsidy to enable us to keep all staff on board. 

    We have been attending numerous webinars and been involved with various online meetings to keep informed about what the industry is experiencing and how we can assist our members through these constantly changing times.  We have been in communications with the other peak bodies to ensure that we are all providing the same message.  We are beginning to explore if and how we can operate at Alert 2.

    Along with this we have been working on a number of projects to make our qualifications and systems better than ever!  Here is what we are working on:

    • Implementing the approved Revalidation Review Recommendations
    • Developing and implementing online membership cards
    • Updating all our Scope & Syllabus and Assessment Guides for formatting and consistency
    • Rock and Climbing Wall qualification reviews
    • Commencement of the Bush qualification review
    • Developing Assessment Plans
    • Updating Assessment Resources
    • Training a new administration assistant remotely

    Courses - All NZOIA courses have been cancelled until the 30 June 2020.  Custom Course planning is still on hold.  We will reassess the situation as the New Zealand moves through the Alert Level’s. 

    Applications and Course Fees – If your course has been cancelled you can choose to transfer your application to a future course and hold your fee in credit or request a full refund of your fee which we will honour as soon as we can.  All those enrolled on cancelled Refresher Workshops will have their qualification extended for 6 months.

    Revalidation – All members who have qualifications expiring on the 30 June 2020 can get an extension until the 31 December 2020 and their qualifications will remain registered.  You don’t have to have a plan in place or a Refresher Workshop application completed and paid for.  Likewise, if your qualification is ‘on hold’ until the 30 June 2020 we can extend that another 6 months to give you a chance to attend a Refresher Workshop before the 31 December 2020.  Just drop us a line at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will make the changes to your membership profile. 

    Deferment/Reassessment or Training Pathways – The NZOIA Technical Sub Committee has extended all reassessments and training pathways due, until the 31 December 2020.  There is no need to contact us as we will do this automatically.  We are also looking at each reassessment task to see if there is an alternate way of completing this while we are in the various stages of Alert e.g. live streaming to an Assessor, video evidence etc. 

    Post 30 June 2020 courses and Symposium – At this stage we are continuing with our July and onward courses including the NZOIA National Training Symposium.  We will still be accepting and processing applications and registrations for these.  A decision on whether the Symposium goes ahead will be made by the 1 July 2020.  If cancellation is necessary all fees will be refunded.  NZOIA is in a financially stable position to do this.   


    Advice for Members

    We understand that this situation will be having a big effect on many of our membership both emotionally and financially.  During this time, it is important to take care of ourselves, our whanau and our community.  Employers also have a duty to minimise risk to staff.  The situation is constantly changing and we need to act decisively. 

    Alert Level 2 – Reduce

    Ensure you have a written plan for your organisation for operating under Alert Level 2.  Ministry of Business have a self-assessment template to assist you with this.  The onus is on the organisation to comply with the WorkSafe guidelines, contract tracing and hygiene and sanitation.

    Start to ask yourselves:
    Do we have COVID-19 in your risk register and how you can minimise, isolate and/or eliminate the risk?

    • screening
    • trained instructors to recognise signs and symptoms
    • means of isolation if someone shows signs and symptoms
    • Personal Protective Equipment available

    Do we have a disclosure to clients and information on how you will manage courses?
    Do we have a robust contact tracing system in place?
    How can we get our clients to us within the guidelines?
    Can we operate with physical distancing?
    Do we have measures in place to regularly disinfect surfaces and equipment?
    Can we provide regular hand washing facilities?

    Government Measures to be taken against COVID-19 at Alert Level 2

    Sport NZ Play, active recreation and sport at Alert Level 2

    Sport NZ Mass Gathering Guidance

    Sport NZ Contact Tracing Guidance and Template

    Sport NZ Hygiene and Sanitation Guidance

    Recreation Aotearoa has developed specific guidelines to supplement the ones designed by the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Education, WorkSafe and Sport NZ and are cross referenced with Education Outdoors NZ and the tourism Industry Association information on Alert 2.  They are designed for outdoor school camps, outdoor education centres, outdoor recreation facilities, outdoor activity providers, youth organisations, recreational clubs, schools, commercial adventure operators and any other relevant users.  They are in two sets for:

    1. School Groups and other Controlled Environment Groups (workplaces)
    2. Social, Mixed Individual and Non-Controlled Environment Groups

    Education Outside NZ has just released guidance for EOTC and Outdoor Education for schools at Alert 2.  

    Tourism Industry Aotearoa has a number of resources and guidelines for commercial operators.  Of particular interest is the document “Standards for Alert Level 2 operations for tourism activities” which was worked on in conjunction with WorkSafe, MBIE and operators.

    Mountain Safety Council COVID-19 Outdoor Activity guidance.  Personal outdoor activity guidance website for what recreation is permitted in your region under the current Alert Level.

    Department of Conservation advises on what facilities and conservation areas are and aren’t open.

    COVID-19 Alert Levels Detailed (updated 13 May)

    Outdoor Education Value Proposition and Proposed National Protocols for Outdoor Education.  A group of outdoor educator providers have proposed national protocols for established residential outdoor education providers under Level 2.  A NZOIA Board member has contributed to this development and this has been endorsed by NZOIA along with other National Bodies and operations.  These documents are being presented to the Government:

    Proposed National Protocols for Outdoor Education

    Outdoor Education Value Proposition

    Tourism Industry Aotearoa made a media release to appeal for domestic travel to be permitted at Level 2.  Recreation Aotearoa and New Zealand Alpine Club (NZAC) have supported this call from the tourism sector. 

    Education Outside the Classroom (EOTC)  Education Outside NZ has just released a large piece of EOTC research that could be of use in discussions with schools over the next few months and beyond.  It advocates the contribution OE providers make to the living standards and wellbeing of New Zealander’s.  Follow this link to a copy of the media release which includes a link to the down-loadable final report.

    Due for an audit or surveillance?

    The auditing companies are in contact with WorkSafe NZ asking them to provide clarity and guidance around certification requirements.  At this stage postponement might be an option, but only if you are not providing activities.  Get in touch with your audit company if you think postponement might be an option.   


    Assistance Available

    Income Relief Payment

    If you lose your job (including self-employment) from 1 March 2020 to 30 October 2020 due to COVID-19 you may be eligible for the COVID-19 Income Relief Payment.  It’s available from 8 June 2020.  12 weeks of payments to help with the living costs after a sudden job loss, and give you time to find other work.  Apply on line from the 8 June 2020.

    Wage Subsidy Extension

    The Government released the Budget 2020, which included an eight-week extension of the wage subsidy for those businesses showing a 50% drop in revenue.  The purpose of the wage subsidy scheme is to support employers adversely affected by COVID-19, so they can continue to pay their employees and support workers to ensure they continue to receive income, even if they are unable to work.  The wage subsidy is available to self-employed, contractors, sole traders, registered charities, incorporated societies and post-settlement governance entities.  Go to the Work and Income website for more information.

    Sport and Recreation Recovery Package

    On Sunday 17 May the Minister for Sport and Recreation Grant Robertson announced a $265m investment into the Sport and Recreation sector as part of Budget 2020.  The funding will be spread over four years and seek to achieve three outcomes. 

    1. Reset and Rebuild
    2. Strengthen and Adapt
    3. Different and Better

    Sport NZ will consult with the sector in the development of a plan to manage the funding. Details on this consultation process will be provided as a next step.

    Sport NZ Community Resilience Fund

    Sport NZ has announced a $15 million Community Resilience Fund to assist struggling local and regional sport and recreation organisations. It opens on Monday 11 May and will be administered through New Zealand’s 14 regional sports trusts. Eligible organisations can apply for a maximum of $1,000 for clubs and $40,000 for regional bodies.

    A separate Exceptional System Support Fund of $1 million is also being set up to help maintain critical business functions of national organisations who are not normally in receipt of Sport NZ investment. There may be opportunities for national outdoor organisations to apply. The criteria is yet to be released.

    More information can be found here.

    Business Advisory Funding

    The Government has allocated funding to support New Zealand businesses and service providers during COVID-19.  The funding will provide support in areas such as HR, health and wellbeing, business continuity, cashflow and finance management, strategy and digital capability.  The fund is only for commercial operators not for charitable or incorporated organisations.  You will go through a phone consultation and then will be issued vouchers to use with a consultant/advisor worth between $2000 - $5000.  Find out more and register here.    

    Other Funding Avenues

    The Gaming Trusts put a lot of money back into the community through sport and recreation.   Unfortunately, they too have been hit hard by COVID-19 and is expected they will have less money in the pool to apply for.  They will start back up under Alert Level 2.  Funding for Community Groups.

    Other funding avenues can be located on the Sport NZ website, however you will need to check if they are up and running again.


    If you are experiencing a cough, a high temperature (at least 38 degrees Celsius), shortness of breath, sore throat, sneezing and runny nose and/or temporary loss of smell and have recently been overseas or have been in close contact with someone confirmed with COVID-19 please call the Healthline on 0800 358 5453 or your Doctor immediately. 

    © 2020 NZOIA. All rights reserved. New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association Inc. [NZOIA]. Powered by Ideo Concepts NZ Ltd